Royal Fort (built 1556-1839) Pakistan
The early history of the fort is subject to debate, but it is known for certain that the fort was extensively upgraded during the reign of Emperor Akbar (mid-16th century). Sometime before 1566, the mud-brick fort was demolished and replaced with burnt bricks. The exact date is not known for certain since the records first refer to a fort at Lahore in connection with the rebellion of Muhammad Hakim in 1566.
The fort was greatly expanded during the reigns of Jahangir, Shah Jahan, and Aurangzeb. During the period of Sikh occupation, Ranjit Singh added several pavilions on the upper ramparts. Modifications to the fort were even made during the British colonial period beginning in 1846, but consisted mainly of converting older buildings into hospitals, barracks, and other colonial functions. Perhaps worst of all, portions of the gardens were converted into tennis courts, but abuses such as this have been corrected as Pakistani preservationists have restored the fort to its pre-1846 appearance.
Certain major buildings:
The Masti gate (a corruption of Masjid gate) is named after the mosque which still stands outside the gate. Built in 1566, the gate only assumed its present name after the construction of the nearby mosque in 1641 by Empress Maryam Zamani, the mother of Jahangir. (The Masti gate is shown in images 1 and 2).
The Diwan-e-'am (Hall of Public Audiance) was constructed in 1631-32 A.D. after Shah Jahan, in the first year of his reign (1628), ordered that the temporary pavilion used to shelter nobles at court be replaced by a "hall of forty pillars." It is located at the center of the fort and measures 187' x 60' wide and 34' tall. The building is heavily restored as it was almost destroyed by gunfire during the precolonial period during fighting between various factions. It was rebuilt (rather shabbily) by the British during the first part of the occupation period.
The Lal Burj, an octagonal tower, was constructed from 1617-31 A.D. Intended as a summer pavilion, it is decorated on the outside with mosaic and filigree while the interior is filled with paintings from the Sikh period. The lower two stories were built during Jahangir and Shah Jahan's reign, while the upper story is a Sikh addition. (images 12-13)
|A view of the front of the Sheesh Mahal|
The Shish Mahal is a multi-storied structure north of the Bungla. It is also part of the royal residence constructed by Shah Jahan in 1631-1632.
Photo Gallery And Snapshots Of the Lahore Fort Pakistan
|Alamgiri Gate in front of the fort|
|Lahore Fort at night-time|
|Old 'Khangah' inside Fort|
|Close View of the Naulakha Pavilion|
Moti Masjid Interier
The Lahore Fort-A gate from the backside
Lahore Fort Hathee Peyr
The Lahore Fort-Doorways of sleeping chambers
The Lahore Fort-Closer view of the Hall of public audience
The Lahore Fort-Front center view of hall of special audience
The Lahore Fort-A black wooden door
Pakistan's Pavillion at the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai